Wednesday, October 7, 2009

On blogging ...

Some days I'm really glad I married Dave.

And on other days, I'm really, REALLY glad!

MCB raged the other day about bloggers having "best spouse" competitions. (You can read about it here.) I agree. Spouse contests are dumb -- mine will always win.

But really, what do you think about mushy spouse posts? What's the worst/most obnoxious one you've ever read? Most touching? Where's the line between sharing something uplifting and just plain bragging? You men out there ... and I know there's at least three of you who read this blog ... if your wife/girlfriend/mom posted something really sweet, but somewhat lengthy about you online, what would be your reaction? You women who choose to compliment their spouse indirectly on the Internet instead -- why not just profess your adoration/love/pride outright? I mean, if you're going to go to all the effort, and if the point of the post really is to say how awesome your man is, why not just say it? You women who have written a best spouse/birthday/anniversary tribute ... Why?

I am curious.

8 comments:

Miranda said...

Ugh. That reminds of TAMN. Don't do it, Brooke!

Brooke said...

No worries ... I just keep seeing them EVERYWHERE and then after MCB's post, I wonder what the motive behind them is. And why other bloggers are choosing to refrain. I know why I haven't, but I'm wondering why others aren't. I've seen some sweet ones that have been touching. And some that I've learned a lot about a friend and their spouse. Others make me want to throw up. I'm trying to figure out what the difference in reactions is. =)

Cari said...

I don't do this alot, but every once in a while I'll post a little sentence (usually not a whole mushy post) on something great my husband did and how much I love him for doing it.

If you haven't read it, there is a book called "The Five Love Languages", by Gary Chapman. I read the one that is titled "The Five Love Languages of Children" but it had the same concepts as the one for adults.

Basically there are five different way people feel love - acts of service, touch, words of affirmation, gifts, and quality time. My husband's love language is words of affirmation. I could tell him to his face how I feel, which would mean alot, but if I do it publicly it seems mean more.

Anyway, I don't do it alot, but I do it every once in a while so that my husband feels the love I have for him.

Brooke said...

Cari -- I LOVE that book!! It was really interesting to read. I'm definitely a time and words person. I agree with the short sentence or two thing. I think it means a lot to the people we love most when we acknowledge them and give them a shout out! Those kind of posts never give the impression a person is trying to prove their spouse is better than someone else's or have that "jealousy" element MCB mentioned.

Drew Nash said...

Yeah, I would find that dumb. I don't want/need/or care for a woman professing her love for me over the internet. Just leave a post-it note on the mirror telling me that she loves me would be more than suffice.

Brooke said...

Drew -- post-it notes are the best!

Steph said...

i agree with drew. if you love someone TELL THEM. what was that conference talk about not professing your love for your family in your testimony, but at home? i feel the same way about the internet. if you're sharing your deepest, most loving thoughts on your spouse with the world wide web, someone might be missing out (your spouse.) although, i also think it is totally acceptable to write little shout outs- ala cari, when applicable.

your welcome for the novel.

Steph said...

ps, email me mormonchildbride(@)gmail(dot) com if you want a really gross anniversary post example....