Friday, December 4, 2009

I am not Michelle Kwan. My 10-year-old self would be very disappointed in this revelation. Back then I was absolutely sure I would medal in the Olympics one day. But I'm willing to take responsibility for my lack of achievement. I'm not Michelle Kwan because of some judging scandal or because my parents forced me to take piano lessons instead. I am not an Olympian because after a couple years worth of lessons, I just didn't want to spend 5 hours a day in an ice rink. And tying ice skates is harder than it looks. Though the spins were really cool.

I quit journalism. It wasn't the fault of the failing newspaper model, the switch to Twitter, or pressure from editors that forced me out. No. I made that decision all on my own, and when it came right down to it, I just didn't want to do it anymore.

I will continue to take full credit for any non-achievements in life EXCEPT ...

... I have no guilt in justifying the heck out of why I am not a runner.

Dave dropped me off at campus this morning on his way to work. We had to stop multiple times for joggers to cross in front of us. These people are insane. I sat admiring them with their earbands and special running tights and red cheeks, watching as their breath turned into fog in front of them. If you can see your breath it is way too cold to be running. But I felt like a wimp admitting to myself the real reasons I will never be one of them. *cough*laziness, lack of dedication, love of all things comfortable and warm*cough*. No. I rose to much greater heights. By the time I'd walked in the law building I'd convinced myself the real reason I don't run is because I don't own, and can't currently afford, the special tights. Yup. It's definitely my limited income and lack of proper apparel that's keeping me back. If we could just afford those running tights, I'm sure Dave and I would both be running marathons by March.

No worries, I'll find a new excuse before summer.

2 comments:

Cari said...

Thanks for the video link; that was awesome!

Kristen said...

Now I know what to get you for Christmas!