Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 links ... We will never forget

I liked this collection of photos: http://www.csmonitor.com/CSM-Photo-Galleries/In-Pictures/September-11-Revisiting-Ground-Zero

Also, I love that First-Ladies Michelle Obama and Laura Bush spoke together today in Pennsylvania.


P.S. American journalists and legal scholars ... Can we please, please stop using the acronym OTUS for "of the United States." It took me a long time to figure out what the heck articles were talking about in law school when they referred to the Supreme Court as SCOTUS, and in looking for a link about the First Ladies' speech, I just came across an article that referred to Michelle Obama as the FLOTUS. Really? That phrase sounds like some kind of quasi-sexual flower to me. And strikes me as slightly demeaning. Does that mean her husband the president is the POTUS and that as a resident and citizen I am a ROTUS or COTUS? Typing out U.S. before something takes less time than writing OTUS after it and will save my poor eyes.

2 comments:

Emilie said...

Interesting photos. I don't think I'd seen any of them before.

On the subject of POTUS/SCOTUS/FLOTUS and all other forms of OTUSes, I found this pretty interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/12/magazine/on-language-potus-and-flotus.html -- especially the part about wire journalists using the acronym as the slug for their stories.

Brooke said...

Cool link! Thanks!